Media Development Investment Fund (MDIF) is seeking to appoint a full-time highly competent and organized media professional to the new position of Program Officer or Senior Program Officer for Asia (title dependent upon experience). The role will focus primarily on facilitating the implementation of MDIF's business capacity building program for independent media in South and Southeast Asia. This position will also include carrying out tasks relating to MDIF's investment clients in the region.
Related to MDIF's business capacity building program(s) for independent media in South and Southeast Asia, the Senior Program Officer/Program Officer will be responsible for:
- Assisting with program expansion by researching and identifying suitable new media partners and consultants.
- Establishing sound professional relationships with, and acting as a primary contact point for, media partners, coaches, and technical advisors.
- Monitoring the development and execution of and recording and reporting on project activities and expenditures.
- Contributing to project planning and budgeting and ensuring compliance with all contractual requirements and MDIF policies and procedures.
- Preparing narrative and financial reports for donors.
- Drafting and monitoring grant and consultancy agreements and ensuring compliance.
- Contributing to internal program updates and data gathering for external publications.
Related to MDIF's investment clients the Senior Program Officer/Program Officer will be responsible for:
- Assisting the Program Director in identifying potential loan and equity candidates for investment pipeline in Asia.
- Contributing to preparation of materials for programmatic assessment of candidates and research and preparation of materials for country updates and internal approvals.
- Monitoring of the mission related aspects of clients’ work.
- Assisting in internal and external reporting.
- Additional tasks as assigned by the Program Director for Asia.
- Minimum of five years’ experience working in project management and/or experience of working in media, journalism, media management or media support fields.
- Sound understanding of the political, economic, and social environment across Asia.
- Detailed knowledge of the media sector in one or more countries in South or Southeast Asia.
- Existing contacts with key players and up-and-coming talent in the region is an advantage.
- Outstanding communication, organization, and interpersonal skills.
- Proven versatility, flexibility and integrity, and an enthusiasm to learn.
- Strong internet and computer software skills including knowledge of MS Office (Outlook, Word, Excel).
- Strong and demonstrated inter-personal skills, sound judgment, ability to work with a diverse mix of people.
- Ability to manage external consultants, and relationships with media partners.
- Commitment to MDIF’s mission and policies and a passion for press freedom.
- Proven multi-tasking skills and attention to detail under time-pressure and on short-deadlines, as well as an ability to operate independently with minimal supervision and as a member of an international team.
- Fluent in English, written and spoken.
- Knowledge of one or more Asian languages is desirable.
- Preparedness to travel throughout Asia.
- Available to start work in, or soon after, February 2024.
MDIF is a not-for-profit impact investment fund specializing in the media sector, principally in news businesses. They work in countries where the press is not free.
Since 1995 MDIF has invested $311 million in 150 independent media businesses in 47 countries, typically where the independence of journalism cannot be guaranteed and access to information is under threat. Their financing helps independent media companies to fulfil their commercial potential while safeguarding their editorial independence.