The selected candidate will be based in Mumbai, India and will focus on developing high-quality Upstream investment pipeline in the South Asia region under the supervision of the Regional Upstream & Advisory Services Manager. He/She will also support policy work and other interventions across the World Bank Group to prioritize various initiatives and to maximize the impact of Upstream efforts. Please visit our website for more information on IFC’s work with financial institutions.
If the selected candidate is a current World Bank Group staff member with a Regular or Open-Ended appointment, s/he will retain his/her Regular or Open-Ended appointment. All others will be offered a 3 years 0 months term appointment.
The Senior Investment Officer will have a wide range of evolving responsibilities in line with strategic priorities of FIG. The scope of duties and responsibilities includes but is not limited to:
- Identify Upstream investment opportunities for financial institution clients across the South Asia region, with a view to developing a strong future pipeline of quality investment for IFC, through employing knowledge and experience of financing instruments and anticipating market trends.
- Evaluate, structure, and propose new or innovative financing platforms and instruments; use strong negotiation skills to develop solutions with internal and external stakeholders; mobilize other investors alongside IFC.
- Collaborate within the FIG Asia Upstream & Advisory Services team and with the regional Investment teams to develop Upstream regional strategies and support related promotion work.
- Develop feasibility studies and implementation plans for Upstream projects that lead to IFC investments.
- Design and implement scalable solutions and platforms that can be replicated across markets.
- Spot game-changing trends, technologies and business models that can bring solutions to emerging markets.
- Produce regular reports on the assigned Upstream & Advisory Services portfolio including monitoring progress against project milestones and KPIs.
- Conduct sector-specific data analysis and stress-testing of various operating models to help generate ideas for new projects, new products and platform businesses.
- Work with the World Bank to identify and help implement sector and regulatory reforms that are needed to unlock opportunities for private investment.
- Collaborate with stakeholders and form partnerships with staff across IFC and the World Bank Group, sponsors, clients and other external parties to enable delivery of Upstream projects.
- Facilitate knowledge flow across IFC and the World Bank Group and promote adoption of new approaches and best practices.
- Help build external recognition of IFC’s distinctive capabilities in working Upstream to catalyze greater flow of investment opportunities in the sector.
- Mentor more junior staff working on Upstream & Advisory Services activities.
- Master's degree or equivalent professional qualification in Business, Finance, Economics, International Relations, Science, Engineering, or other relevant field. Candidates with MBA, CPA, or CFA would have an advantage.
- At least 12 years of relevant financial sector experience including a proven track record in strategic origination, project development, hands-on advisory and/or consulting functions, investment banking, operational experience and a deep understanding of investments in emerging markets.
- Genuine commitment to development and to the World Bank Group and IFC's mission, strategy and values.
- Understanding of IFC’s strategic priorities and changing business model against the backdrop of IFC 3.0.
- Capacity to innovate and challenge the status quo and a proven track record in new idea generation, business development, and creating projects/programs from scratch.
- Strong understanding of the financial sector and ability to link policy reforms, advisory interventions, investment, and mobilization to deliver solutions at a country level.
- Experience engaging with private sector clients, local and national governments and other stakeholders to encourage pioneering business and market development.
- Experience in project/program management, including executing against implementation plans with defined business development milestones.
- Experience in monitoring and reporting on a portfolio of projects/programs/initiatives.
- Outstanding analytical and critical thinking skills; demonstrated ability to synthetize complex information and make concrete strategic and tactical recommendations.
- Excellent people skills, openness to feedback, new ideas, and ability to guide, and motivate others.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills in English.
World Bank Group Core Competencies
The World Bank Group offers comprehensive benefits, including a retirement plan; medical, life and disability insurance; and paid leave, including parental leave, as well as reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.
Learn more about working at the World Bank and IFC, including our values and inspiring stories.
IFC — a member of the World Bank Group (WBG) — is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. We work in more than 100 countries, using our capital, expertise, and influence to create markets and opportunities in developing countries. In fiscal year 2023, IFC committed a record US$43.7 billion to private companies and financial institutions in developing countries, leveraging the power of the private sector to end extreme poverty and boost shared prosperity as economies grapple with the impacts of global compounding crises. For more information, visit www.ifc.org
IFC has embarked on an ambitious new growth strategy (IFC 3.0) to stimulate more investment activity, especially in low-income countries (LICs) and fragile and conflict affected situations (FCS). This strategy calls for generating our own opportunities by proactively working “Upstream” to create, deepen, and expand markets and to imagine, design and implement investment projects. It requires taking a systematic approach to understanding the regulatory and sector bottlenecks that prevent the flow of private capital into productive investment in our member countries and addressing these bottlenecks through World Bank Group engagement on policy reforms and programmatic interventions at the country and sector level. It also requires capacity to leverage WBG programs and projects to develop our own proactive sector interventions and to imagine and design projects even in the absence of reforms.
The Financial Institutions Group (FIG) is one of three major industry groups at IFC, responsible for managing roughly 40% of IFC’s overall business in terms of volume and capital at risk. IFC is seeking a Senior Investment Officer for the Upstream & Advisory Services department within FIG, with a deep investment expertise in the Financial Sector, in areas including Banking, Microfinance, Housing Finance, Climate Finance, Digital Financial Services, Trade Finance and/or Insurance. Experience or expertise in the Capital Markets sector is highly desirable.