NUS to Nurture Singapore’s Next Generation of Fintech Talent

by July 16, 2020

The NUS School of Computing launched the NUS-FinTechSG Programme which aims to nurture Singapore’s next generation of fintech talents and full stack developers.

The programme offered by the NUS FinTech Lab and Strategic Technology Management Institute (STMI) is a platform for students to gain knowledge about contemporary issues, integration of financial domain know-how, consisting of lending, payments, insurance, regulation and management. Students will also learn about front- and back-end development, cloud systems, blockchain and algorithmic trading.

The launch of the programme builds upon the concerted efforts to strengthen Singapore’s S$1.2 billion (US$861 million) fintech market and to ensure that the industry can continue its growth momentum alongside financial institutions.

Mohan Kankanhalli

Mohan Kankanhalli

“As digitisation becomes an essential anchor for our economy, it is crucial to provide companies with a foundation – including knowledge, experience and resources – for future-ready talent and enterprises to truly succeed. The NUS FinTech Lab is at the forefront of this mission to join forces across the industry, and provide the best collective intelligence and tools for everyone to navigate the digital future,”

said Professor Mohan Kankanhalli, Dean of NUS School of Computing and Chairman of the FinTech Lab Advisory Board.

The NUS-FinTechSG Programme is complemented by an optional trainee stipend co-funding scheme, which is supported under the SGUnited Traineeship Programme by the Ministry of Manpower and Workforce Singapore, to enable businesses to develop their local pipeline of fintech talent.

Alex Siow

Alex Siow

“Singapore is one of the core innovation hubs in Asia, and is well-positioned to leverage fintech to create new opportunities for the economy. We aim to harness this potential by enabling aspiring talents to learn about this fast-evolving field, and encourage innovative firms to bring their proof of concepts to life by offering on-the-job training for the students. As a part of the ongoing collaborative efforts among government, academia and the industry, we believe this programme will accelerate the nation’s digital growth and empower enterprises to leverage FinTech and bolster Singapore’s virtual economy,”

said Professor Alex Siow, Director of STMI.

Featured Image: NUS’ Facebook Page